Saturday, November 17, 2012

Psalms of David First Kathisma








 

THE PSALMS OF DAVID
THE PROPHET – KING


THE FIRST KATHISMA


PSALM 1

A Psalm of David Without Superscription among the Hebrews


1. Without death is the man, who has not walked in the counsel of the impious, and has not stood in the way of sinners, and has not sat in the seat of plagues;
2. But his will is in the law of God and in his law does he meditate day and night.
3. He shall be like a tree, planted by the outlets of the water, which bears its fruit in its season, whose leaf will not fall off; and whatever he does shall prosper.
4. Not so the impious, not so, on the contrary, they are like the chaff which the wind blows off the face of the earth.
5. Therefore the impious shall not be resurrected for the judgment, nor sinners for the counsel of the just.
6. For the Lord knows the way of the just, but the way of the impious shall perish.



PSALM 2


Bears No Superscription


1. Why have the nations snorted with rage, and the people meditate vain things?
2. The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the Lord and against his Christ.
3. Let us break their bonds asunder, and cast their yoke off from us.
4. He who inhabits the heavens shall laugh at them; and the Lord will deride them.
5. Then will he speak to them in his wrath, and in his anger will confound them.
6. But I have been made king by him over Sion, his holy mountain, declaring the decree of the Lord.
7. The Lord has said to me, you are my Son, today I have begotten you.
8. Ask of me, and I will give you the nations for your inheritance, and the ends of the earth for your possession.
9. You shall shepherd them with a rod of iron; like a potter’s vessel you will crush them to pieces.
10. And now, kings, acquire understanding; become educated, all you who judge the earth.
11. Serve the Lord in fear, and rejoice with trembling. Seize education lest at any time the Lord be made wrathful, and you perish by leaving the just way,
12. When his anger is quickly kindled. Immortal are all they that have confidence in him.


PSALM 3

“A Psalm of David When He Fled From the Face of Absolom, his Son, in the Wilderness.”


1.Lord, why have those who afflict me been multiplied? Many are rising up against me;
2. Many are they who say to my soul, there is no salvation for him in his God.
3. But you, Lord, are my protector, my glory and the uplifter of my head.
4. I cried unto the Lord with my voice, and he heard me out of his holy mountain.
5. I fell asleep and slept; I arose, seeing that the Lord will sustain me.
6. I will not be afraid of tens of thousands of the populace who have encircled themselves about me.
7. Arise, Lord; save me, my God; for you have stricken all my enemies vainly opposing me; you have crushed the teeth of sinners to pieces.
8. Salvation belongs to the Lord, and your blessing is upon your people.


 

PSALM  4

“In the End, in Hymns, a Psalm of David.”

1. When I called upon you, God of my justice, you hearkened to me. In my affliction you relieved me. Have pity on me and hear my prayer.
2. You sons of men, how long will you be heavy hearted? Why do you love vanity and seek after falsehood?
3. Know accordingly that the Lord has rendered marvelous his devout one. The Lord will hearken to me when I cry out to him.
4. Be angry, and sin not. What you say in your hearts ruminate on your beds.
5. Offer the sacrifice of justice and hope in the Lord.
6. Many are those who say, who will show us the good things? Lord, the light of your countenance has been marked upon us.
7. You have placed gladness in my heart, with their fruit of wheat, wine and oil, they have abounded.
8. In peace I will fall asleep where I am, and will sleep; for you, Lord, have caused me to dwell apart in hope.



PSALM 5

“In the End, in Hymns, For She That Obtained the Inheritance.”

1. Lord, incline your ear to my words, understand my cry.
2. Listen to the voice of my supplication, my king and my God, for unto you, Lord, shall I pray.
3. In the morning you hear my voice; in the morning will I present myself to you, and you shall look upon me;
4. For you are not a God that wills iniquity, no worker of wickedness shall sojourn with you.
5. Neither shall lawbreakers stand before your eyes; you hate all workers of iniquity.
6. You will destroy all them that speak falsehood; the Lord abhors the bloody and deceitful man.
7. But as for me, in the multitude of your mercies, I will enter your house. In fear, I will bow down before your holy temple.
8. Lord, lead me in your justice because of my enemies; make my way straight before you.
9. For there is no truth in their mouth; their heart is vain, their throat is an open sepulcher; they utter deceit with their tongue.
10. God, judge them. Let them fall down by their own counsels; cast them out in accordance with the magnitude of their impiety, for they have embittered you.
11. But let all those who hope in you be gladdened; they shall exult for ever, and you shall dwell among them. Let those also who love your name exult in you.
12. For you, Lord, will bless the just; with the shield of your good will have you crowned us.


PSALM 6

“In the End, a Hymn of David for the Eighth Day.”

1. Lord rebuke me not in your anger, neither chasten me in your wrath.
2. Lord have mercy upon me, for I am weak; heal me for my bones are greatly troubled.
3. My soul also is greatly confounded; but you, Lord; how long?
4. Turn back to me, Lord, and deliver my soul; save me according to your mercy.
5. For there is no remembrance of you in death; who will give you thanks in Hades?
6. I am weary with my groaning; I will bathe my bed every night, and will wet my bed with my tears.
7. My eye has been confounded with anger; it has grown old because of all my enemies.
8. Depart from me, all you workers of iniquity; for the Lord has heard the cry of my voice.
9. My petition has been heard by the Lord; the Lord has received my prayer.
10. Let all my enemies be ashamed and confounded; let them be turned back and speedily be greatly
ashamed.
Glory . . . Now . . . Alleluia . .
.

PSALM 7

“A Hymn of David Which he Sang to the Lord Concerning Cushi the Son of Benjamin.”



1. Lord my God, in you is my hope; save me from all who persecute me; and deliver me.
2. Lest he seize my soul like a lion, while there is none to deliver or save me.
3. Lord my God, if I have done this: if there is injustice in my hands,
4. If I have requited evil to those who rendered me evil, may I fall away from my enemies emptyhanded;
5. Let him persecute my soul, seize and trample my life into the ground, and let him bring my glory down to earth.
6. Arise, Lord, in your wrath; raise yourself to the utmost boundaries of my enemies, and arise, Lord my God, in the commandment you have given.
7. So shall a congregation of the peoples gather round you; and for their sakes, return on high.
8. The Lord shall judge the peoples; judge me, Lord, according to my justness , and according to innocence on my part.
9. Let the wickedness of sinners come to an end; you will direct the just, O God, that examines hearts and inwards justly.
10. My help is of God, who saves the upright in heart.
11. God is a just judge, mighty and greatly forbearing; and God does not inflict his wrath every day.
12. If you do not turn back, he will furbish his sword; he has drawn his bow and made it ready.
13. And in it he has made ready instruments of death; he has wrought his arrows for those that burn.
14. Behold, he has travailed with injustice, he has conceived mischief, and given birth to iniquity.
15. He opened a pit and has dug it up, and he will fall into the ditch which he has made.
16. His mischief shall return upon his own head, upon his own crown shall his injustice descend.
17. I will offer thanks unto the Lord in accordance with His justice, and I will chant praise to the name of the Lord most high.


PSALM 8 

“A Psalm of David In the End, for the Winepresses.”

1. Lord our Lord, how wonderful is your name in all the earth! for your majesty has been exalted
above the heavens.
2. Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings have you prepared a praiseful song, because of your
enemies, that you may abolish the enemy and the revenger.
3. For I shall see the heavens, works of your fingers, moon and stars, which you have ordained.
4. What is man that you are mindful of him? or the son of man that you visit him?
5. You have made him a little lower than the angels, and have crowned him with glory and honor.
6. You have given him dominion over the works of your hands; you have subordinated all things
under his feet,
7. All sheep and oxen, and the beasts of the field,
8. The fowl of the air, the fish of the sea, whatever goes through the paths of the seas.
9. Lord, our Lord, how wonderful is your name in all the earth!

Glory . . . Now . . . Alleluia



No comments:

Post a Comment