THE GREATEST HONOR POSSIBLE
Saturday, November 17, 2012
THE PSALMS OF DAVID
THE PROPHET – KING
THE FIRST KATHISMA
A Psalm of David Without Superscription among the Hebrews
1. Without death is the man, who has not walked in the counsel of the impious, and has not stood in the way of sinners, and has not sat in the seat of plagues;
2. But his will is in the law of God and in his law does he meditate day and night.
3. He shall be like a tree, planted by the outlets of the water, which bears its fruit in its season, whose leaf will not fall off; and whatever he does shall prosper.
4. Not so the impious, not so, on the contrary, they are like the chaff which the wind blows off the face of the earth.
5. Therefore the impious shall not be resurrected for the judgment, nor sinners for the counsel of the just.
6. For the Lord knows the way of the just, but the way of the impious shall perish.
The publisher of The True Christ, Raphael (Ralph) Masterjohn, was ordained a lay preacher in the 1950's, in the Greek Archdiocese of North and South America, by His Eminence Archbishop Michael. During the 1950's, under the Archbishop’s guidance, with many fellow Orthodox Christians, we held weekly meetings in a very large room at the Greek Archdiocese , East 79th Street, New York City, where we gathered to teach and speak about our holy faith. During those days, the English language barely existed in the Greek Archdiocese churches of America. For many years we also published a monthly periodical called: The Light of Orthodoxy,” This now re-inspired me in my later years to start communication by means of the internet. I hope that “The True Christ,” will prove to be useful and beneficial to you, and pray that the Lord will give me the ability and inspiration to continue. Please respond with any questions or comments, concerning this blog or regarding our faith, then with the Lord’s help, I will respond as well as I can.
Friday, November 16, 2012
Akathist of Thanksgiving
"Glory to God for All Things"
Everlasting King, Thy will for our salvation is full of power. Thy right arm controls the whole course of human life. We give Thee thanks for all Thy mercies, seen and unseen. For eternal life, for the heavenly joys of the Kingdom which is to be. Grant mercy to us who sing Thy praise, both now and in the time to come. Glory to Thee, O God, from age to age.
I was born a weak, defenceless child, but Thine angel spread his wings over my cradle to defend me. From birth until now Thy love has illumined my path, and has wondrously guided me towards the light of eternity; from birth until now the generous gifts of Thy providence have been marvelously showered upon me. I give Thee thanks, with all who have come to know Thee, who call upon Thy name.
Glory to Thee for calling me into being
Glory to Thee, showing me the beauty of the universe
Glory to Thee, spreading out before me heaven and earth
Like the pages in a book of eternal wisdom
Glory to Thee for Thine eternity in this fleeting world
Glory to Thee for Thy mercies, seen and unseen
Glory to Thee through every sigh of my sorrow
Glory to Thee for every step of my life's journey
For every moment of glory
Glory to Thee, O God, from age to age
Troparion of the Feast, Tone 4