Friday, May 30, 2014

'TWAS THE NIGHT BEFORE JESUS CAME

'TWAS THE NIGHT BEFORE JESUS CAME

"Twas the night before Jesus came and all through the house
Not a creature was praying, not one in the house.
The family were relaxing at home without care
Not believing that Jesus would ever come there.

The children were dressing to climb into bed,
They had never learned to pray or bow their head.
And Mom in her rocker with baby on her lap
Was watching the Late Show while I took a nap.

When out of the East there arose such a clatter,
I sprang to my feet to see what was the matter.
Away to the window I flew like a flash
Threw open the shutters and threw up the sash!

When what to my wondering eyes should appear
But angels proclaiming that Judgment was here.
With light like the sun sending forth a bright ray
Shuddering, I realized that this is that Day!

The books were then opened and an angel read, 
Jesus returned in glory judging the living and dead.
What good were my possessions and material wealth?
Vainly I wept, and hanging my head despised myself.

In the Book of Life where which was opened then
Was written the deeds of every single man.
Because I never knew Him He knew not my name;
I stood condemned having only myself to blame.

But all those whose faith and works were of light
Calling them sheep, He placed on His right
All others, as goats He angrily placed on His left side
And with them I in wretchedness and shame tried to hide

Then with the faithful He rose without a sound
While all the rest were left standing around.

Wailing and weeping, I fell to my knees, but too late;
Time had run out and thus sealed my fate.
Repenting and weeping were now not available to me
I was blind to the thought that this day I would see.

I stood there and I cried as they rose out of sight;
Of, if only I had been ready for this terrible night.

But alas, the worm of my conscience allows me no rest,
In the torment of Gehenna will I be with the rest.
Who never new Christ nor His Orthodox Church.
Never heeding the command to ask and to search.

Why, O why did I foolishly waste my whole life
This question cuts through me like a razor sharp knife.
I could have repented, receiving mercy and grace,
But having never run, I have forever lost the race.

In the words of the poem the meaning is clear;
The coming of Jesus to judge now draws near.
There's only one life and when comes the last day
Let's not be foolish, for then we will pay

No comments:

Post a Comment