Friday, February 8, 2013

YOU, O CHRIST!


YOU, O CHRIST!

You, O Christ our Savior, have become for me the path of life which leads to the Father.  There is but one path, and it is my joy, and at the end of it is the heavenly kingdom.
You, O Master, Jesus Son of God, have become for me the path of life and enlightenment.
In the heart of your servant your grace has become light and joy, which are sweeter than the honey of a honeycomb to the lips of your servant.
  In the soul of your servant your grace has become a treasure, which has made his poverty rich and driven away misery and corruption.

For your servant your grace has become a refuge, strength, a defense, ennoblement, praise, and food for his whole life.
How can your servant be silent, Master, after having tasted the great sweetness of your love and grace?  How could I dare once again to obstruct the waves of grace which pour forth into the heart of me, a sinner, and which are replete with sweetness according to the multitude of your gifts?

I shall sing of the glory of the Master of heavenly powers and shall magnify your grace, O Christ our Savior, and my tongue shall not cease to chant of your love.
   Your love draws me to you, O Savior,  praise of my life.
   Your grace makes it sweet for me to follow you with my mind.
         May my heart be as a fertile field for you, and may your grace sprinkle the dew of eternal life upon it.
        May your grace reap a good harvest on the field of my heart; humility, reverence, sanctity, and all that is ever pleasing to you.

Return my soul to the sweet garden of paradise, and may it abide in light that, surrounded by the delights of paradise, I too may say with all the saints: Glory to the immortal Father, honor to him who presents heavenly gifts to this worthless one, that he may bring a tithe of glory to the King of all.
 From Spritual Psalter  By St. Theophan the Recluse from St. Ephraim the Syrian

No comments:

Post a Comment